Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sometimes good isn't good enough (aka 3 outs is plenty)

So, I headed out to the V for a routine shot at the $20 push hard or bust tourney they run every Wednesday. I play this tourney pretty loose, without much care since it is only $20. I want to have a lot of chips early or get to the cash game. I played fairly tight early for a change and was able to get up to about 6000 or so chips from the starting stack of 4000. I actually didn't even play a hand for the first 2 levels. Then came the risk. At the 3rd level 200/400 I limped for 400 with A7c in MP and saw a 35K, two club flop. I shoved to a min bet on the flop from my right. He called of course with none other than 3 for a flopped 2 pair. The ending? Brick, brick, seat open.

On to the cash games. I was on the list, but JUST missed the next table that opened, so I had to wait a bit to get on a table. I liked my table as there were several people that I did not recognize and a few dead fish for sure. I played fairly standard for me, winning a pot early with 67s raising PF and checking into a backdoor flush. Bet a bit for value on the end as it was an ace. Then, not too much happened for a while. Finally, in the BB with K6o and a 4 way limped pot comes 66J two spades. I had the K of spades for a backdoor draw and the 6 for trips. I lead for $10, was called to my left and MP makes it $20 more. Now, I have not played much with this guy, but I put him on AJ or KJ at that point. Thinking back this did not make much sense since there was no raise PF, but if he had a 6 that was not A6 or J6 I had him. I contemplated whether to shove now or wait and let him bet the turn. Since there were 2 spades already on board I opted to push now. I had 51 more behind after his $20 raise of my $10 bet, so I pushed for $81 which was $51 more to him. Guy to my left quickly folds and he tanks for a bit than reluctantly calls. Then I knew I had him. He did not turn over his hand, but when the turn brings a T, he yelps "Yeah!" and shows 6T for a turned boat. I needed the K to resuck and missed on the river. I proceeded to belittle him a bit for even limping with T6 and he said "It was da same suit" which I could not even understand the first time as obv he was a member of team ESL. Down 1 buyin.






Next couple of hours were not very exciting, then the next opportunity presented itself. KK in EP (utg+1) and I raise it 4x. I get 4 callers which was a little surprising, but I was ok with it. Flop came J high with 2 spades and the guy on the button leads. I decided at that point that I did not want to see any more cards. I pushed for $55 after his bet of $10, knowing that he had about $40 or so behind. Fold to my left, then he calls fairly quickly. I hope that he has AJ or KJ, but it was better. he turn is a Q and the river a 9. He rolls over QJ for a turned 2 pair. I am pretty much disgusted as this is the 2nd 3 outer of the night for stacks. I stack up the $40 or so to match his 2 stacks and then place the other $15 I had in from of him and say here you deserve this, well played. I get up and leave down 2 buyins. SEAT OPEN!

No comments: